Notice

*Not All who Wander are Lost*

Saturday, August 18, 2012

New adventures...

I turned 50 in July. Kind of scary. 50 and still not published, unemployed again, and still living with my sister and her husband.

So I decided on some goals. I started the "medical administrative assistant" program at Pima Medical Institute on July 17. Passed the first two sections with good grades, and now I'm stuck in math hell. Oh well! I will survive.

Okay, one goal is to finish a novel and get published before I turn 55. I have one story in mind that I've played with off and on for the last few years. It's a sci/fi story of a young man from a medieval society stuck on a spaceship, and trying to get his friend Maria back to her family and the relative safety of Republic territory. That's more "mainstream."

Then there is one story that I had been writing for my own amusement few years back. It is not mainstream, and harkens to a genre I love called "slash fanfic." It's pretty much gay male erotica. The working title is, "Almost but Not." I'm thinking of working on this one first, giving it an ending, cleaning it up editing-wise, and try my hand at publishing as an e-book on Amazon. Could be amusing.

Today I went to a writer's group meeting, and met some very interesting people. I've tried a few writerly groups in the past, but they weren't for me. This one definitely seems more promising.

Other goals include getting a solid job, saving money, and moving out. I was hoping for my own house before, but I don't think that is realistic. Apartment first, house of my own later. I need to clean up my credit score, and be more responsible.

I will try and be better about making entries here. It will be good to follow my progress along with everything. Class, writing, life. Thanks for listening.

1 comment:

Susan said...

Good luck with your writing and publishing goals. I see you must be in Tucson. I went to high school there, but lived more years in the Phoenix valley later on. I miss my desert, but east TN has some great people and at least it isn't flat like some places!